Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Research Trip

We are getting ready to go to a couple of counties to do research on the Jester, Forbes, and Fullerton lines and so the work begins here at home first. To have a successful trip I first need to get together notes and a copy of those lines trees so that I have with me what I already know, as well as areas and family names to look for. I next research addresses and times of local libraries, historical societies and court houses that I will need to visit. If I know where someone is buried I also get an idea of where the cemetery is so I can go cemetery sleuthing. Always go prepared with paper and pens and pencils so that you can take notes. Also it is important to take change and money to get copies of things you find. Always make time to check the court houses to look for wills, deeds, marriages, divorces and birth records. Make a note of everyone that has that same surname so that if you find later they are in your line that you have the info. When you go to libraries and historical societies make sure you check the history books and their card catalogues to find your ancestors. Usually they are very helpful at these places. Most important go with an open mind and your sleuthing hat on and make it a well thought out profitable trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment