Thursday, February 6, 2014

Throwback Thursday Repost of Cemetery Sleuthing

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Cemetary Sleuthing

One of the best things to do when looking for ancestors is to do what our family does and go cemetery sleuthing. What is cemetery sleuthing you ask? It is going to a cemetery your ancestors are suppose to be buried at and start walking, looking at the headstones, and noting all the names of people buried near your ancestors. If the cemetery is small then you can make note of all the headstones and take pictures of them also, so that you can make sure you don't miss any related families.
This is a lesson I learned the hard way. When I first started doing genealogy we would go to the cemetery and look for that ancestor that we knew was there. We never looked at the other headstones just for the one we were after, we went through the cemetery with blinders on bent on finding that ancestor. We would get home and I would do more research and then find out that other related families were there in that cemetery also, so back to my to do list on places to go. Luckily two of the cemeteries I did this at were with in 100 miles of my home so I could go back to them easily, so off we went again. This time I noted all the names and low and behold most of the people were related in one way or the other in these cemeteries. Look at all I could of gotten done on that first visit if I had done some sleuthing the first time around. Lesson learned, never go through a cemetery with blinders on but instead with your Sherlock Holmes hat and magnifying glass ready to sleuth out all the clues and ancestors you can.

A good place to start to find a cemetery if you aren't sure where it is located is at the websites
findagrave.com and billiongraves.com
These  places are great for finding cemeteries and for getting pictures of headstones that are too far away for you to travel to and get yourself.
Check out these sites!

No comments:

Post a Comment