Thursday, March 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday What better than a Family Recipe

What can be better than gathering and storing old family recipes to share with the next generation. I love cookbooks and recipes as well as cooking and baking. I love trying old recipes from the family that bring back memories.  One of the things you might try including in your family research is old favorite recipes and the traditions around those recipes. Put together a family recipe book to share with all your family. For this throwback Thursday I have included the post of my Mom's eggless cake. Try it and enjoy.


Monday, April 26, 2010

Old family recipes

One thing that we should remember to record is old family recipes. I think everyone probably remembers that food that Grandma or Mom has made that as a kid we loved. In our family we have certain things that we always ate and learned to make from our relatives. I have several
and will share them once in awhile and this is the first. My mom use to bake this cake for my birthday all the time and I love it. It is one that is being passed down.

 Mom's Eggless Cake Recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk
3 cups flour
2 tsps soda
3-4 tsps cinammon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla

In mixer mix all the above ingredients together alternating the milk and flour
Pour into a greased and floured 13"x9" cake pan
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 min or until done in the middle. Test by inserting knife in middle and if comes out clean done

Icing
Combine 1 cup brown sugar
2 tbls milk
2 tbls coconut (add more to your taste)
Mix and sprinkle on top of cake while cake is still hot
Put under broiler till bubbles

No comments:

Post a Comment