Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Snodgrass Family Stories, Okay I should of listened

How many times have you heard your relatives reminiscing and not really paid attention and then later when you are trying to learn your genealogy you wish you still had that relative around to ask questions? I am sure that this has happened to us all. We should all pay more attention to the stories and even jot them down or record them for future use and future generations. I wish when my Grandparents were still alive that I had done a better job of this but I wasn't doing my genealogy then I just liked hearing the stories. Then when I started doing the genealogy I only had one Grandmother and my husbands Granddad left to ask questions of. I did have a few great Aunts and Uncles and tried learning what I could from them at that helped but oh how I wished I had recorded or written down all the stories that they would tell and now are lost to me and my children. Lesson is pay close attention and write them down.

Another thing is no matter how far fetched you think a story is write it down or record it because you may just find out that it is true. An example of this is when I talked to my Grandmother about my Mom's dad's side Grandma told me things I just didn't think were true but I took note of them and found out she was right.

I found that my Grandma and Grandpa Snodgrass got married in Kansas City, KS and that they had lied about there age by a couple of years. She said that during the depression they lived on a side room of Grandpa Snodgrass's dad's house in Oklahoma City and that the room was made out of used thrown out lumber because none of them had money. Then they went to Cordell OK and picked cotton in the fields which I figured was her remembering wrong until we went to the courthouse in Washita County, OK and they had pictures of migrant workers picking cotton in there county back in the 1930's. In fact they had a picture on the wall that asks do you know these people and it looked like a younger picture of my Grandmother in the fields. Ok so the story she told was right.
Next she told me that Grandpa Snodgrass's mother changed her name from Sallie Ann to Cleo Ruth and that she was married to a man named Crews when she died. She also said that she was buried in OK somewhere. Now why she changed her name she didn't know but they never got along so Grandma didn't care to know either she said. Well I once again was skeptical but in the 1920 Census I found that she had changed her name to Cleo Ruth and was married to Simon Nix. I know it is her because my Granddad Emmett Snodgrass and his sister Snow are living with them. Okay now I knew that she had changed her name next to find if she had married a man name Crews and where she was buried. Sure enough she is buried where Grandma thought at the Lookeba Cemetery which is located ½ mile north of Lookeba Ok. in Caddo County, OK. So two stories she told me were true but I still haven't been able to proof the last story and that is that Grandpa Emmett Snodgrass is part Indian. His mother Sallie Ann/Cleo Ruth is suppose to be half Indian and her mother full blooded Indian but so far I haven't been able to prove this. I have been told by Emmett's other two daughters that we found two years ago that they were told the same story and that a cousin of theirs from Snow Snodgrass told it too. We are still looking and I have this story written down so that when I prove it one way or another and can give Grandma credit again.
The thing is we need to listen and record everything we are told whether we think it is possible to be true or not and then research to find the truth. I hope to find more interesting stories and truths so I keep looking through our tree.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deb,

    Do you know if you are related to the Snodgrass family that came to the Ohio Valley in the mid to late 1700;s?

    My name is Dave Treadway and I have information for Snodgrasses who might be related to those.

    My e-mail is dkt2u@aol.com

    Dave

    ReplyDelete